Why Choose LED Lights
LED lights are at the forefront of the new trend in lighting technology. They are highly efficient and have many other energy-saving benefits, especially when used around the home. Domestic lighting technology has progressed rapidly in recent years becoming an essential part of our advanced world. The newest technology that is available to us at the moment is LED lighting. A Light Emitting Diode (LED) is a type of semiconductor device that emits light rays when electric current is passed through it. This technology has been around for years, but only recently has it been harnessed to provide lighting solutions for the home. LED lights have been widely used for some time now as streetlights, LED spotlights, rope lights and LED flood lights.
Advantages of using LED Lights for the Home
Now LED lighting can be used for the home, and has many benefits.
1. High efficiency: In incandescent light bulbs only around 20% of the electric current is used for production of light. The other 80% of the energy is wasted as heat. On the other hand LED lights are able to utilize 80 to 90% of the energy provided in the generation of light. It is known as cold lighting because there is no production of heat.
2. Reduced electricity bills: Since LED light bulbs are super-efficient, their use will significantly reduce energy consumption and thus your electricity bills. You may be surprised to know that this lighting will use only 10% of the electricity that other devices were using before to provide the same amount of light.
3. Reduced maintenance cost: LED lights have a lifespan of about 50,000 hours which is remarkable when you consider that incandescent bulbs have a lifespan of only 1000 hours, while even fluorescent light bulbs can only last for 15,000 hours. In other words, LED lights can last for a period of about 10 years. So, once you install them you won't have to worry about replacing the bulbs for a long, long time. Moreover, LED lights are sturdily built and hence they are not prone to breakage.
4. Complete safety: LED light bulbs don't contain any toxic chemicals or heavy metals like mercury which is present in CFL. Hence, they pose no hazards in a home environment. Incandescent lights and CFLs also produce a small measure of UV radiation, but none is produced by LED lights
5. Environmental benefits: Savings on electric bills is not the only benefit of the high efficiency LED lights. By reducing your energy usage you can reduce your carbon footprint. Most of the electricity is produced by burning fossil fuels which release greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. This of course leads to global warming and climate change. If you use less electricity then less fossil fuel will be burnt and hence you will be playing your part in saving the environment.
6. Available in a variety of colours: LED lights come in a range of colours from white, blue, yellow, orange, amber and red. You can use them for functional purposes or for decoration.
So, these are some of the reasons why you should choose LED lights. It is the latest technology when it comes to lights and many experts believe that LED lighting will replace all other types of lighting in the near future.